Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hyperion: Revisited with Keats in mind.

So I asked my English teacher about Keats. He had me read two poems. "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" and "Ode to a Grecian Urn". We went through the latter stanza by stanza and he taught me a great deal about the Romantics, and Keat's philosophy in particular. It's all about finding perfect moments in art/nature and then the sad realization that artistic ecstasies do not last forever. In response, his poems end sadly even though there are high points of emotion in the middle.

In response to Hyperion. I see Keat's attributes in conjunction with the Destruction of Old Earth and humanities severing from their origins. The Bard's story in particular, how he was in a writing fury only to lose it all once he realized the Shrike was his muse. Many of the pilgrims have perfect moments in their stories but have lost them. They want to restore order by meeting the Shrike.

No comments:

Post a Comment