Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

SF Movie Concerns

There are so many SF movies that suck. But in the grand scheme of things, there are so many movies that suck. Nay! There's a ton of art that sucks.

I've been inspired by this recent release of Skyline. I don't plan on seeing it, not only because of the disappointing reviews but also my current philosophy of avoiding the movie theatres like the plague because Hollywood doesn't deserve my money. I digress.

Skyline is the perfect example of SF glamorized only for the FX then roasted for total lack of meaning. A cheap thrill, an insult to the human mind. But I say we still need movies like it to come out, even in our modern era. It will only fulfill the generations of humorously horrible movies. I would make the connection that such bad, CGI imbued movies are akin to such laugh-fests as Attack of the Killer Shrews or The Giant Gila Monster. In a sense, they are important for the SF genre only so future fans have the ability to enjoy themselves and laugh at the horrendous low-points of SF. So don't be fearing that SF has lost its glory, in fact horrendous flicks are just planting the seeds for future geeks to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment